When you experience a water or fire loss, you can take steps to avoid further and avoidable damage from the event. When the area affected is large enough or affected so heavily such that you cannot clean or address it yourself, there are Remediation Services available from companies who specialize in these type losses. But even for small and contained losses, you can follow some suggestions to help reduce the damage.
Here are some industry recommendations:
- In the event of water damage, stay calm!
- If the affected carpet is larger than a couple square feet, or the underlying pad is soaked, you may need to have the carpet separated at he door seam and lifted to remove the pad. Consider calling a restoration service to do it carefully.
- Small areas may be able to have the water drawn up and out with wet-vac equipment, and then fans help to dry the area within a day or two.
- With larger affected areas, or when cabinets and walls are involved a service is likely needed to address the area effectively.
- Make sure the water source is turned off. This will help contain the damage
- Turn off the breaker in the damage area before you unplug or remove any electrical devices located on wet carpet.
- Place aluminum foil under the legs of any furniture in contact with wet carpet. This might prevent furniture stains on your carpet.
- Lift draperies away from wet carpet.
- Placing towels on wet carpet does no good, they just add to the wet material that must dry out and hinder the carpet from drying.
- Pin up upholstered furniture skirts which may get wet.
- Remove books, shoes, paper goods, fabrics, potted plants, and other items which may stain wet carpet.
- DO NOT use your home dry vacuum, since electrical shock may result, as well as certain damage to the equipment itself.
- DO NOT place newspaper in traffic areas to walk on, since newspaper ink transfers easily to the wet carpet fibers and may result in permanent staining.
- DO NOT walk on carpet any more than necessary, this will keep the damage from spreading to unaffected areas.
- Consider a large water leak area to need to be treated by a professional company. Trapped moisture can develop into mildew and potential worse problems.
- In the event fire or smoke damage, stay calm! Call Expert carpet care & restoration
- Inventory Contents
- Open all windows
- Empty freezer and refrigerator completely if electricity is off. Prop open doors.
- Remove pets (especially birds) to clean environments.
- DO NOT attempt to wipe or wash the walls, ceilings, or other absorbent surfaces.
- DO NOT use upholstered furniture if it can be avoided.
- DO NOT use exposed food goods or canned goods that have been subject to excessive heat.
- DO NOT use TV’s, stereos, or any other electrical appliances until cleaned or checked.
- DO NOT send smoked garments to an ordinary dry cleaner, because improper cleaning may set the smoke/odor.
- DO NOT Turn on your heating and air conditioning system if it is not currently on.
When something happens that causes fire, smoke or water damage to your home, don't hesitate to call us. We are more than happy to advise and help you any way we can.