Flood Protection

Since most standard homeowners insurance policies do not cover flooding, it’s important to consider purchasing  separate protection against flood and rising water caused by hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other causes.

In 1968, Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves. The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters, and business owners if their community participates in the NFIP. Participating communities agree to adopt and enforce ordinances that meet or exceed FEMA requirements to reduce the risk of flooding. Find out more about the NFIP and how it can help you protect yourself.

[NOTE:  For vehicles - flooding protection falls under OTC (Other Than Collision or Comprehensive coverage). Whether parked or driving into high water, protecting the vehicle against flood and weather damage is important.]

Flood insurance protects two types of insurable property: building coverage, which protects the physical structure and improvements, and contents coverage, which protects the possessions inside that building. Neither of these covers the land that the building and contents occupy.

See The Cost of Flooding Damage

Building coverage includes:

  • The insured building and its foundation
  • The electrical and plumbing system
  • Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters
  • Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers
  • Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring.

Contents coverage includes:

  • Can be purchased as stand-alone coverage for apartment dwellers
  • Clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment
  • Curtains
  • Portable and window air conditioners
  • Portable microwaves and dishwashers
  • Carpeting that is not already included in property coverage
  • Clothing washers and dryers.

The two most common reimbursement methods for flood claims are: Replacement Cost Value (RCV) and Actual Cash Value (ACV). The RCV is the cost to replace damaged property. It is reimbursable to owners of single-family, primary residences insured to within 80% of the buildings replacement cost.

All other buildings and personal property (i.e. contents) are valued at ACV. The ACV is the RCV at the time of loss minus physical depreciation. Personal property is always valued using the ACV.

Contact us today for a flood insurance quote.